top of page
  • Writer's pictureedyankathleen

What Canadian Seniors Need To Know About Living Part-time in the USA

When Canadian seniors plan to live part-time in the USA, there are several important things they should know. Here are some key considerations:

  1. Immigration Status: Canadian citizens can typically stay in the United States as visitors for up to six months per year. However, if you plan to stay for longer periods or engage in certain activities, such as working or studying, you may need to apply for appropriate visas, such as a snowbird visa or a retirement visa. It's important to understand the immigration requirements and consult with relevant authorities or immigration lawyers to ensure compliance.

  2. Healthcare Coverage: Canadian seniors should carefully consider their healthcare coverage while in the United States. The Canadian government's health insurance, such as the provincial Medicare system, may not provide coverage in the USA. It's recommended to obtain travel health insurance (see below) or private health insurance that covers medical expenses and emergencies while in the United States. Research the coverage options and ensure it meets your specific needs. Without the proper coverage, medical services in the USA can be overwhelmingly expensive to say the least.

  3. Taxes and Financial Considerations: Living part-time in the USA may have tax implications. Canadian residents are generally subject to income tax in Canada on their worldwide income, but they may also have tax obligations in the United States. Familiarize yourself with the tax regulations of both countries, including any tax treaties that may apply, and consult with tax professionals to understand your tax obligations and potential benefits.

  4. Entry and Exit Requirements: When crossing the border between Canada and the United States, it's essential to have the necessary documentation. Canadian seniors should carry valid passports or other acceptable identification documents, such as an enhanced driver's license or NEXUS card. Be aware of any changes in entry or exit requirements and stay up to date with travel advisories and border regulations. Check Border Crossing Updates on our homepage at:

  5. Travel Insurance: It's advisable to have comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical emergencies, trip cancellations or interruptions, and lost or stolen belongings. This insurance can provide peace of mind and financial protection during your stay in the United States.

  6. Residence and Accommodation: Depending on the duration of your stay, you may choose to stay in an RV resort, rent a furnished property, stay in a long-term hotel, or explore other accommodation options. Research the local rental market, familiarize yourself with lease agreements, and consider the proximity to amenities and services you may require during your stay.

  7. Estate Planning: It's important to review and update your estate planning documents, such as wills, powers of attorney, and healthcare directives, to ensure they are valid and reflect your wishes both in Canada and the United States. Consult with legal professionals who specialize in cross-border estate planning to navigate any potential complexities.

Remember, the rules and regulations can vary, and it's crucial to consult with relevant authorities, legal professionals, and financial advisors who can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances. Stay informed, plan ahead, and ensure you have the necessary documentation and safeguards in place for your part-time stay in the United States.

127 views0 comments


bottom of page